Michael is a litigation shareholder at Harris, Finley & Bogle. His practice focuses on complex, high stakes litigation, and he has significant first and second chair experience with litigation matters that exceed $20 million in controversy. Michael’s practice primarily focuses on oil and gas disputes, and he has successfully litigated issues in the most active and significant shale plays in the United States, including the Permian, Eagle Ford, Marcellus, and Bakken.
Michael also has diverse and extensive experience with federal and state agencies, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Chemical and Hazard Investigation Board, U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, and Texas Railroad Commission. Michael has drafted and filed comments on behalf of trade associations on issues important to unconventional development, defended operators against alleged violations of federal and state environmental protection laws and regulations, and a variety of other agency work.
Michael joined Harris, Finley and Bogle, P.C. in 2016 after working as an oil and gas attorney for a firm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Admitted to Practice
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Master of Laws, Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources Law, University of Houston
- Juris Doctor, Boston College Law School
- Bachelor of Arts, Boston College
Presentations and Publications
- "Texas Ruling Challenges Oil And Gas Anti-Washout Provisions," Law360, 2020.
- “Client Alert: Operators Request Market Demand Order,” Harris, Finley, and Bogle, P.C., 2020.
- “Getting Specific: Oil and Gas Lease Force Majeure Clause Worth a Look in The Age of Pandemic,” The American Oil & Gas Reporter, 2020.
- "Texas Supreme Court Decision Clarifies Surface Estate Rights," The American Oil & Gas Reporter, 2017. Co-authored with William G. Bredthauer.
- "Trump Administration Initiating Major Changes," The American Oil & Gas Reporter, 2017.
- "EPA Changes to the Risk Management Program," 47 OSHR, 2017.
- "EPA's New Risk Management Rule Is Here ... For Now," Law360, 2017.
- "Act 13 And Pennsylvania Fracking: The Drama Continues," Law360, 2016.
- “Wastewater Management Regulation in the Appalachian Basin,” Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 2016.
- “Regulatory Environment Still Evolving,” The American Oil & Gas Reporter, 2016. Co-authored with Kevin J. Garber.
- “2015 Oil and Natural Gas Wastewater Management Update,” The PIOGA Press, 2015. Co-authored with Kevin J. Garber.
- “2014-15 Major Developments Affecting Oil and Natural Gas Extraction,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2015. Co-authored with Kevin J. Garber and Jean M., Mosites.
- “Sifting Through Smog: Examining Public Participation and Standards of Judicial Review in Texas Greenhouse Gas Litigation,” Texas Environmental Law Journal, 2015.
- “Bursting the Bubble: Moving Toward ‘The Common Sense Principle’ When Considering Air Aggregation of Oil and Gas Facilities,” The Villanova Environmental Law Journal, 2015.
- Member, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Alumnus, AmeriCorps