James Griffis has a passion and a talent for solving difficult legal problems for clients; he was voted a Top Attorney by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine on several occasions and a Top Attorney for Labor and Employment Law by 360 West Magazine in 2017 - 2020.
With a practice concentrating on labor and employment law, corporate and business transactions, and commercial real estate, James represents business clients of all sizes in employment litigation and administrative proceedings in front of the Texas Workforce Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, Texas Commission on Human Rights, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He also has extensive experience in litigation, commercial real estate, banking and corporate law, which enhances the level of service he provides to clients. He regularly advises clients on issues affecting the employment relationship and compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, ADAA, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Texas Payday Law, and Texas Commission on Human Rights Act. James also has substantial experience in drafting and advising clients on non-competition, non-disclosure, non-solicitation, and employment agreements; and represents management in governmental investigations, reductions in force, and various independent contractor issues.
James serves in several professional organizations, and on the board of directors for the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Tarrant County. He and his wife Lindsay live in Fort Worth with their daughter and two Labradors.
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Texas
- Bachelor of Arts, Millsaps College
- Juris Doctor, St. Mary’s University School of Law
Publications and Presentations
- "Working Through Common Employment Law Issues: Employment Law 101," previously published in Parker County Today, January 2018.
- "Working Through Common Employment Law Issues (Part II)," previously published in Parker County Today, May 2018.
- "Working Through Common Employment Law Issues (Part III)," previously published in Parker County Today, August 2018.
- Top Attorney in Labor and Employment Law by 360 West Magazine (2017-2020)
- Top Attorney by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine (2006, 2007, 2009-2011, & 2013-2016, 2019-2020)
- Board Member, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Tarrant County (2016-present)
- Executive Committee, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Tarrant County (2019-Present)
- Board Member, Society of Financial Service Professionals – Fort Worth Chapter (2015-present)
- Member, Labor and Employment, Corporate Counsel, and Business Law Sections, State Bar of Texas
- Staff writer and comment Editor, St. Mary's Law Journal